Junie B Jones The Musical Auditions
Auditions: February 14 & 15, 2023 at Valley Youth Theatre
Performances: April 7 - 30, 2023 at Valley Youth Theatre
Please read the following information in its entirety.
Valley Youth Theatre's mission is to inspire young people to be the best they can be through a variety of performing arts opportunities. All roles will be played by young people unless otherwise noted. Our performers are not charged fees to be in our shows. There are no ticket quotas, costume or script deposits, ad sales or financial requirements of any sort to be in our mainstage shows. Valley Youth Theatre welcomes all young people to audition. If you or your child need assistance auditioning, and your answer is not covered in this page, please contact VYT's Production Stage Manager, Morgan McCall at firstname.lastname@example.org
Junie B. Jones The Musical Synopsis:
Sneak a peek into the "Top-Secret Personal Beeswax Journal" of the outspoken and lovable Junie B. Jones! It's Junie B.'s first day of first grade, and a lot of things have changed for her: Junie's friend, Lucille, doesn't want to be her best pal anymore and, on the bus, Junie B. makes friends with Herb, the new kid at school. Also, Junie has trouble reading the blackboard and her teacher, Mr. Scary, thinks she may need glasses. Throw in a friendly cafeteria lady, a kickball tournament and a "Top-Secret Personal Beeswax Journal," and first grade has never been more exciting.
Junie B. Jones: A quirky, energetic first grader with comedic flair. Loves having adventures and writing about them in her journal. Gets upset when things don't go her way. Wildly precocious, yet completely endearing. Vocal range top: E5. Vocal range bottom: G#3.
Lucille: Junie B.'s former best friend, also in first grade. The ultimate child diva. Rich girl, well-dressed. In Mr. Scary's class with Junie B. Enthusiastic. Vocal range top: E5. Vocal range bottom: F3.
Herb: Junie B.'s new best friend. A cute boy, slightly shy. Endearing and charming. Vocal range top: G4. Vocal range bottom: A2
May: Another first grader in Mr. Scary's class with Junie B. Bossy, know-it-all. Junie's nemesis. Vocal range top: C5. Vocal range bottom: A#3.
Sheldon: Another first grader in Mr. Scary's class with Junie B. Nerdy, lactose intolerant, and gets a bit of stage fright. Excited about playing music. Vocal range top: E4. Vocal range bottom: B2
Camille: Lucille's new best friend and Chenille's twin sister. A follower.
Chenille: Lucille's other new best friend and Camille's twin sister. Coordinated and cute.
Grace: Junie B.'s other former best friend. She rides the bus with Junie B. and is now best friends with Bobbi Jean Piper.
Bobbi Jean Piper: Grace's new best friend.
Jose: Another first grader in Mr. Scary's class.
Lennie: Another first grader.
Mr. Scary: Junie B.'s first grade teacher, a warm man, despite his name. Vocal range top: D#4. Vocal range bottom: A#2.
Mother: Junie B.'s mom. Exasperated, but understanding. Vocal range top: D#5. Vocal range bottom: A3.
Daddy: Junie B.'s dad. Encouraging and knows how to juggle.
Mrs. Gutzman: The kids' favorite lunch lady at Junie B.'s elementary school, also known as "Gladys Gutzman, Queen of Snacks."
Rehearsals and Time Commitment:
Approximate rehearsal dates can begin as early as the week of February 20 and run though April 6, 2023 , Monday through Thursday evenings and Saturdays. Before tech, evening rehearsals will be 5p - 9p; tech rehearsals will be potentially until 10pm. We understand that some students may have conflicts where they may miss rehearsals, must arrive late or leave early. However, cast members will not be able to miss rehearsals during tech week or the run of the show. Tech rehearsals start April 1, opening night is April 7, 2023 and runs through April 30, 2023 with several weekday matinees for schools in addition to the traditional evening and weekend performances.
DOWNLOAD OUR TENTATIVE REHEARSAL SCHEDULE HERE TO SEE IF YOU WILL HAVE ANY CONFLICTS. We will ask about the specific dates of your conflicts in the audition form. Again, cast members will not be able to have any conflicts between April 1 - April 30, 2023.
What to prepare for the audition:
- A headshot. It doesn't have to be professional. Just a good photo that looks like you! you can take it with a camera phone if you'd like. Make sure you have good lighting so we can see your face.
- An acting or theatre resume. You don't have to have one all fancy and ready to upload (although you certainly can). We just want to know what you have done performance-wise and in a theatre. If you worked on the stage crew, put that in there too!
- A song that will show off your voice and is appropriate for you and the character you are auditioning for..
- How long should the song be? Good question. The answer is: as long as it needs to be for you to feel that you have shown us how amazing you are! Chances are that's around 2 or so minutes, but it may be longer or shorter. You may not get to sing the whole song either so make sure that you get to "the good part" sooner rather than later. You don't have to start at the beginning of the song. We just want to see how you sing!
- If you can, it's a good idea to pre-register. You will fill out the audition form online before hand so you won't have to fill it out when you get to the theatre.
- Wear comfortable clothes that are appropriate to dance in -- no sandals or skirts, please.
- We also recommend you bring a bottle of water to remain hydrated and energized.
Audition Date, Time, and Location Information:
|Tuesday, February 14, 2023
||Wednesday, February 15, 2023
|Doors Open at 3:30pm
||Doors Open at 3:30pm
You only need to attend one of these auditions.
We hold auditions at our theatre:
Valley Youth Theatre
525 North First Street
On the Southeast Corner of First Street & Fillmore, in Downtown Phoenix
Please note: The VYT parking lot is permit parking only. Public paid parking is available in the lot on the north west corner of 1st St and Fillmore and at meters surrounding the theatre. Please plan accordingly.
If you still have questions, you can contact our Production Stage Manager, Morgan McCall, at email@example.com or 602-253-8188 ext 308