How to Audition
How old should I be to audition for VYT?
Typically, mainstage performers are 7 to 19 years old. Younger people aspiring to the stage are encouraged to consider our performing arts camps and classes, more details here.
How do I audition for VYT?
Valley Youth Theatre holds open auditions throughout the year on a show by show basis. All you need to do is show up!
Here's the SCOOP!
- Pick the show or shows you want to audition for.
- Pick the day that works for you and come down to our theatre!
- You only need to be at one of the audition days.
- Doors open at approximately 3:30pm for registration
- Auditions begin at approximately 4pm and are conducted in a small group format.
- Parents are asked to remain with their child through the introductory talk at 4pm.
Valley Youth Theatre
525 North First Street
On the South East Corner of First Street & Fillmore in Downtown Phoenix
The VYT parking lot is limited and fills up fast. Public paid parking is available Please plan accordingly.
What I need to be prepared for auditions:
- Audition Form (Click here to print or download a form fill it out) Please note that ALL potential conflicts must be given to the stage manager and director no later than callbacks, preferably at the auditions.
- Headshot (does not need to be a professional head shot, but must be clear - these photos are often used in the program)
- Performing Arts Resume (if you have one)
- Valley Youth Theatre has five musicals and one straight play a year.
- For musicals, we want to hear you sing! Be prepared with a song.
- We will provide an accompanist (you must provide your own sheet music)
- Other accompaniment options: you can bring a CD (we will have a CD player available) or you can provide an MP3 player.
- You may prepare anything from 16 bars to an entire song. The director/musical director will let you know when to stop singing if you have prepared a longer selection.
- You will be provided with an aside when you check in.
- Dress to move in appropriate attire to dance. Do not wear sandals or skirts. If you choose to bring a change of clothes, changing areas will be provided to do so. Also, we recommend you bring a bottle of water to remain hydrated and energized. Remember, the key to a great performing arts audition is being prepared!
- For non-musicals, neither singing nor a prepared monologue is required. You will be provided with an aside when you check in.
What happens after I audition?
How will I know VYT's decision?
Valley Youth Theatre will notify you via this website under the audition tab (of the show you auditioned for) if you you have received a "called back."
- You will be given a day and time to come back to the theatre.
- In a group setting you will be asked to read scenes, sing and possibly learn a dance from the show.
- Call back attire is the same as audition attire. Dress to move; do not wear sandals or skirts. If you choose to bring a change of clothes, changing areas will be provided.
- Bring a bottle of water to remain hydrated and energized.
Please do not be discouraged if you are not called back!
Often times, we simply don't have enough parts for the many people who audition, and auditioning is a matching process. It is important that we carefully match individual actors with scripted characters that have specific qualities envisioned by the playwright. Don't give up! Remember: Auditioning takes practice too! The more you audition, the more comfortable you will be, and the more you will learn.
What are the expectations if I am cast in a show?
You will be expected to attend all scheduled rehearsals. Rehearsals are generally Monday through Thursday evenings and Saturday most of the day beginning as early as the week of callbacks.
The weekend before the show opens is the beginning of tech week and Saturday and Sunday are 8 - 14 hour days.
Because Valley Youth Theatre does not charge a fee for young people to participate in our mainstage productions, parents are required to volunteer by helping with set and costume construction, and front of house during the run of the show.
Note: Show titles, audition & rehearsal dates & times subject to change.
For more information about auditions email the Production Stage Manager at email@example.com.
No food or beverages aside from bottled water are permitted in our theatre.